Fire crew’s oxygen mask saves hamster

Hamster saved by firemen after suffering smoke inhalation

source: Paul Kelso
Guardian June 11 2001 p9

A hamster called Pikachu has been saved by firefighters after suffering smoke inhalation at a house blaze in Nottingham, England. He was carried out from his home unconscious after a fire in the kitchen, caused by a washing machine exploding. The fire was contained in the kitchen because the family closed the kitchen door. The firefighters gave Pikachu a heart massage using fingertips, and put him in an oxygen mask. Pikachu’s previous adventures have included eating rat poison, which made his teeth go blue, and a five-day absence from his cage, after which he returned covered in black dirt.